Monday, February 16, 2015

Grandma's Rice Flour Pancakes

Or ricecakes, as we call them. My northern-born but southern-lovin' Mom has kept up this Deep South-originating tradition in our family for years, and ricecakes were always a treat at our house growing up. Now that I'm gluten free, they are a lifesaver. I can eat something yummy, filling, and nutritious every morning for breakfast and not feel deprived!

Rice Flour Pancakes

2 C brown rice flour (I grind mine in our Vitamix, and have started using 1 C brown rice, 1 C quinoa; I also add some flax or hemp seeds for extra  nutrition/protein...just add more buttermilk later)
2 t baking soda
1 t baking powder
1 t salt

1 C buttermilk (I usually sub with homemade or storebought kefir, or you could even use plain yogurt and coconut milk or something)
4 T oil (it calls for canola oil, but I melt coconut oil in the skillet I'm going to use to cook the ricecakes, and pour it into the bowl!)
2 beaten eggs

Mix dry ingredients. Mix wet ingredients, and combine. Stir well with spoon and add more buttermilk as needed (rice flour tends to thicken the batter over the first few minutes). Spread small amount of oil or butter on griddle or in frying pan. Pour about two spoonfuls per ricecake...remember that cakes will rise and spread. (Yes! Mine always end up too big. But that's ok because they keep me full a good part of the morning.) Don't overcook as you will cook slightly later before eating (in the toaster).

So I make a batch of these, freeze some, and put the rest in the fridge. In the morning, I put one in the toaster to warm it up and make it just a little bit crispy. Butter on top, then honey (or agave or maple syrup if you so desire). While the ricecake is in the toaster, I fry up an egg to go on top. Duck eggs are my latest discovery and I love how there's enough yolk when "popped" to cover the whole ricecake in yummy yolky deliciousness. ; ) Enjoy with a mug of hot tea, and your morning is off to a great start!

No comments:

Post a Comment