Thursday, April 9, 2009

a walk through TJ's


I used to roll my eyes, inwardly of course, when my friends would say they got this frozen meal at Trader Joe's and that healthy snack at Trader Joe's and this appetizer for the party at Trader Joe's (I'm sorry, Kara).

Well, now that I have said neighborhood grocery store close by (or rather, now that I don't have a Giant in my basement)...and go every single week, and swear by them and rave about them and constantly recommend their products, I'd say I'm now part of the cult. Completely sucked in. Although I still refuse to buy the canvas reusable bags. There is a limit even for this addictive personality.

Whether you've been there or not (there are some people who have not yet been!), I'm sure you'll appreciate my recommendations as we do a virtual walk-through. And by the way, TJ's encourages its customers to try all their products; if you don't like something, you can take it back opened. I've done it.

Happily situated behind our little red cart, we first come to the bread section (after checking out the colorful and reasonably-priced cut flowers):

  • multigrain sandwich bread with 6 (!!) grams of fiber per slice
  • whole wheat artisan bread, very nice as breakfast toast or grilled cheese
  • whole wheat naan, warmed in the microwave and paired with TJ's hummus you'll be transported to celestial realms
  • whole wheat plain and cinnamon raisin "British muffins," very tasty as an egg-yolk dipper or with lots of crunchy peanut butter slathered on top

Now double back to the cereal section on the other side of the aisle:
  • Maple-frosted Mini Wheats; my first bowl said it would be my only one, but somehow there was a second and I was hooked for life
  • Shredded Spoonfuls, tastes like Life but much healthier
  • Shredded Oats, full of fiber and crunch, and needs only a dash of sugar (organic of course)
  • Autumn Wheat, not as good as the Maple-frosted but a good sub if they're out
(That is the only bad thing about TJ's: they do not always have everything in stock, but I think it's perhaps intentional; you know, the neighborhood market idea where you buy what they have that day.)

Continue down that side of the aisle to pick up your...
  • steel cut oats: see April 3 post

Breeze past the fruit stand in the middle of the aisle for exotic fruit like kiwis and mangoes for cheaper prices than Giant
  • Mini Pearl grape tomatoes, bright red and sweet all year 'round

In the next aisle, our (mostly my) favs are...
  • 99 cent Rice Noodle Soup Bowl, and
  • a small can of Alaskan pink salmon, to make my own version of Teaism's salmon ochazuke! using half of the salmon in the can for one bowl of soup, that's a healthy/yummy $2 lunch
  • roasted flaxseed peanut butter, which has a nice crunch, funky texture, and added nutrition
  • organic strawberry or apricot fruit spread, as good as preserves but better for you
  • organic spaghetti sauce with mushrooms: this sauce even passes muster with my Italian hubby, savory and sweet and healthy to boot (don't worry, you can't taste the mushrooms)
  • balsamic vinegarette, mm! it's got me on a kick right now, every night on my salad it's the balsamic or nothin'

Now for the Aisle of Temptation, that I often avoid altogether, the middle freezer and dessert aisle:
  • stir-fry veggies on the left side, perfect for cashew chicken or whatever Asian dish you can sneak past the hubby
  • pesto/veggie frozen pizza or spinach/feta frozen pizza: their frozen pizzas are fabulous and healthful too, and perfect for two; we keep on in the freezer at all times
  • dunkers: I've resisted this temptation so far, especially because of the price, but dunked in hot chocolate they are out of this world
  • cats cookies "for people," a low-fat treat

Now for the nut aisle:
  • Simply the Best Trek Mix, one of the least expensive trail mixes and containing all the best stuff--almonds, cashews, dried pineapple, cranberries and tart cherries--without the sweet stuff (chocolate)
  • strawberry and apple cereal bars, much cheaper than Nutrigrain
  • Honey Sesame Almonds, worth every dollar, and a filling snack
  • citrus shampoo/conditioner/body wash: smells yummy and so cheap!

And back for the home stretch down the meat and snack aisle:
  • Mediterranean hummus, the best stuff you will ever sink your bread/cracker/carrot stick into
  • peanut butter filled pretzels, a less guilty treat than combos and just as good
  • garlic and parmesan croutons, a perfect mix with the balsamic

Last but by no means least, as we are waiting in line to check out, grab one of those orange-packaged 72% Cacao Dark Chocolate, which is much cheaper than the organic chocolate you were buying at Giant, to have on hand for every choc-attack. Dark chocolate is good for you! In moderation of course. And is an acquired taste. I didn't like it before, but once I heard it could help my fatigue (no joke! I have the article to prove it), I tried it again and am hooked for life. (I get hooked for life alot.)

Of course we get many more tasty items there, as our food bill attests, but these are some of our favs, and I feel like we're eating healthier and saving money when I shop there. Then I go to Giant for the rest of the stuff we need; an investment of time (Monday afternoons are sacred grocery shopping days), but I enjoy it.

3 comments:

  1. i have a TJ re-usable bag..and I'm proud of it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love the PB pretzels...I like their pesto (they have little jars). The pizza dough is a great deal($1), and I always buy their olive oil. I think it's a pretty good deal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked their pesto, and then one day I didn't. We're still experimenting with the pizza dough...always comes out gooey, but I think it's a user error.

    ReplyDelete